Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Mazda mpv while idol or sometimes when accelerating like up

Customer Question

Mazda mpv while idol or sometimes when accelerating like up a hill.It has 161 miles so take this into consideration. no warning codes, had fuel injectors replaced within the year. spark plugs as well. just replaced radiator .Any suggestions for a 2005 Mazda mpv?We are very handy as we replaced radiator.Another note is that if you are going fast turning overdrive helps it stop missing. It feels like it's trying to shift or something and cannot shift well at all.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcom to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Could you please provide some information and details of make model and year of vehicle and description of your problem . For some reason not showing these on my end of your request. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No worries,
Mazda mpv minvan 2005
just replaced radiator and no linger over heats
skips while in accelration or going up hill like it wants to shift but does quite shift rigth. Its good enough to drive around town but not really excellent on the freeway.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also it has 161,000 miles on it lol. One owner

question/ WHY WAS THE RAD REPLACED/ be back in a while have to pick wife up.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Overheating and broken, now its fine. It was defiantly a radiator issue because the engine would over heat. Now it no linger over heats and its very drivable.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks

so now you feel it's more transmission shifting problem rather then an engine missing issue?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is exactly my question. I am not experianced enought to say what it is exactly however I feel like these items may be the cause. What do u suggest?

you said earlier if you operated the overdrive it seemed to help a bit did you mean turn overdrive on or off?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
turn off overdrive, then it rides smoother when going down the freeway. Still screws up going up hill in overdrive as well.

that sounds like the engine is missing under load , no engine light on or any stored codes in the ECU?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no lightshowever I do not know what a stored codes are. Should I get a device that will tell me that to help us diagnose? I have access to anything we need.

yes that would help. even a code reader just to make sure its not any input signal to the ECU . has it rained there recently and have you recently had a tune up?

here is one test you can easily do to eliminate ignition wires and or coils. at night when dark using a spray bottle of water while engine running gently spray water on the wires and look for any bright sparking, sometimes if really bad they light up like Xmas trees.

is that just 161miles or 161000 miles

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
161000, the larger : )
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will this one work? Or do you reccommend one that is betta?

yes and that's a great price! that's all you need just to recognize you have codes in your ECU and then you can proceed which way to go with your diagnosis. It cxertainly cuts down the guess work and time deciding where to start.Wish I could get things like that at that price up here lol.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You can through amazon rigth?

Yea but you still get a better price down there then we do lol, guess I should have bin born with stars and strips hehe.