sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

The headlights on CX7 2011 are dim so I can only drive with

Customer Question

Hi The headlights on CX7 2011 are dim so I can only drive with brights on at night
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: yes - they are up - they are just very very dim. I bought the most expensive bulbs that are supposed to be 3xtimes brighter and no difference
JA: Are you fixing your CX-7 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i saw other ppl complaining about some moisture built-up in the assembly that creates some kind of film that prevents light from going thru. I would bring it to the mechanic - I just want to avoid dealer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have another eltric problem - my aux audio input quit working 1 year ago *electric
Category: Mazda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the lights aren't as bright as they should be yet the bulbs have been replaced then the issue is either a poor power or ground to them or there is an issue with the lenses. If there is condensation in the headlamps that will definitely cause problems as well as bulb failure, the assemblies would need to be replaced.

Look at the lenses and see if they are hazy. The plastic will oxidize and haze over time. If the outside is oxidized then the best thing to do is wet sand them in stages followed by buffing with compound, or the assemblies can be replaced.

If the lenses and bulbs are ok then the next step will be to voltage drop test the power and ground feeds to the bulbs if there are no connection issues.