peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

I think it needs the security system reprogrammed. It (the

Customer Question

I think it needs the security system reprogrammed. It (the car) has been a "work in progress" for some months, with the battery out, and now I have an intermittend immobilizer problem. 2011 Mazda 3i, bought it new and am using the original key I have the instructions for reprogramming, but need the "code word"
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: yes I do code is just "E"
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If I disconnect the battery and jump through all the "reprogram your key hokey-pokey" rituals I found online, the car will start and be all happy for a while, but intermittently it decides I don't have enough stress in my life and it "immobilizes"
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nah, that's it
Category: Mazda
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Since in some cases it will start and operate properly but in others it will not this does sound to be immobilizer related and sounds like one of the components in the theft system is failing/acting up intermittently and causing this fault here.

The first thing that needs done if this has not been done already is to have a scan tool connected to your model that will plug in and communicate with all computers.Once this is done any fault codes set need diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.I have seen the immobilizer itself that reads the key fail needing replaced as one of the more common causes.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just repeating what I posted as my problem and calling it an answer is worthless. I asked a specific question, which was NOT ADDRESSED AT ALL in this response. I will be demanding a refund. And leaving a really bad review on any site which carries reviews for JustAnswer.