sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My mazda tribute has some minor electrical problems that

Customer Question

Hi! my mazda tribute has some minor electrical problems that cause some of the dash lights to randomly go on and off.. for example sometimes my emergency brake light goes on while driving, ABS light goes on and off, and my oil light flickers sometimes as well, so I don't think anything of them. However tester my car died on the highway due to low oil. I pulled over, put 2 quarts of oil into it and the car choked while starting up. It wouldn't accelerate past 20 going uphill. I had it towed back to town and tried starting it again and the engine runs fine. I'm not sure if theres a problem or not.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

There are several things that could be causing it to run poorly. This is related to the engine dying rather than the low oil. If the engine had died due to low oil, which shouldn't happen at two quarts low, then it would have been from internal engine damage due to low pressure. You shoudl be hearing or would have heard knocking at the time the failure happened.

Was there any abnormal noise from the engine before it died or while it's running now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the engine chokes when it starts now and sounds pretty bad while runnjng

What specifically are you hearing?