Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

Have a 2005 mazda 6 115,000 miles, v6, automatic diagnosed

Customer Question

Have a 2005 mazda 6 115,000 miles , v6, automatic diagnosed misfire number 2 cylinder. Have changed plugs and tested the coil pack , good. Check engine light returned along with the misfire.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

Is the engine actually misfiring on the #2 cylinder?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Used a snap on code reader and that was it's respose
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Okay but is the cylinder actually misfire, if you pull the plug wire dose the engine speed change?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will do
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

While your checking this also check to be sure there are no vacuum leaks in and around the intake runner on this cylinder. You can do this by carefully spraying short bursts of some carb cleaner to see if it changes the way the engine runs. Check this and post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The car has coil packs and have to remove part of plenum to get to #2 moved coil pack to another plug but misfire still on 2
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Okay lets see if there are any signs of a vacuum leak, this engine has had known issue with a leaking intake manifold gasket which can cause a lean engine misfire.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Am removing upper plenum to check for cracks or bad gasket
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

The lower intake is also known for leaking as well.