peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

My BSM light goes off and on. I just got the car back from

Customer Question

Hello. My BSM light goes off and on. I just got the car back from the dealership because of a recall on something else and had them look at it and they say there's nothing wrong w/the BSM fuse. Said it was some sort of programming code. They reset all codes and within 30miles of driving, the BSM light has come back on blinking again. I need my truck inspected but can't because of this
JA: Have you seen this code before? Have you tried a hard reset?
Customer: I myself have done nothing because I'm not sure where it is and haven't looked in the manual. I know a few years ago we replaced the battery in the truck. Last year we got it inspected (non dealership) but they couldn't figure out the code either. How will I go about hard resetting it? wouldn't the dealership had done this when I asked them to look into the problem?
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: 2009 Mazda CX-9 Grand touring
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would love to if it fixes it! and saves me money :O)
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I've only tried the dealership yesterday who said if it came back on, to bring it back in and they'd dig further -sounds as if they didn't want to bother with it yesterday when I was there
Category: Mazda
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

One of the common faults for this light issue here is a faulty BSM control module.It looks like there are 2 of these on your model in the rear bumper.If the dealer did not check into any shorted or grounding out wiring to the rear module/sensors this needs done as this can be an issue as well.If this is or was checked and found to be o.k. then need to do some further testing to see if one or more of the BSM modules is the cause needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete