KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY QUESTION CORRECTLY
5629372

Need help removing and replacing ignition switch on a 1992

Customer Question

Need help removing and replacing ignition switch on a 1992 Mazda Miata. Ignition key broke and half of it is in the ignition. Can I just replace the cylinder or do I need to replace the swich too? If only the cylinder, how do I remove it?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 3 months ago.

If you use the other half of the key can you still start the car?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, it just pushed it in further. I called a locksmith and he wanted $240 to come out. I can't afford that.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My husband can fix it but need instructions or diagrams.

Lets see if we can get the other end of the key out of the switch first. Ask him to take a small paper clip and straighten it as best as he can but leave a small loop on one end so he can keep a good hold on it. Then with a pair of pliers bend the tip so there is just a very small bit turned up at about a 30 degree angle. then slid the paper clip into the ignition switch and see if he can get a hold of the broken part of the key and pull it back out.

Going along the side of the key usualy works better then trying to go to the top or bottom.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He tried that already and it didn't work.

If he can get the paper clip all the way in front of the broken piece he will have better luck getting it out.

OK. Then he will need to remove the steering wheel and the column covers. then he will have to use a hammer and a chisel to turn the two bolts that hold the ignition switch housing to the column. These two bolts do not have a head on them as the head breaks off when the bolts are tightened. He will have to replace the whole housing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Its way down in there. Where are you located? I'm in California and he won't be able to work on it until tomorrow when its light out. I need my car.

Let me see if I have a good pic or diagram of the switch so he can see what he has to do.

I am in tennessee.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well you are up real late! But I'm glad you are!

You are not gona like what I have to tell you next, the switch is very expensive, Here is a link to auto zone for the part you need.

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/ignition-switch/locksmart-ignition-switch/262002_167189_0_3498/?checkfit=true

It may be cheaper to have a lock smith come out in the morning and see if he can get the broken piece out and make you a new key.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If we take the switch out can't we just replace the cylinder and put the switch back?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have an extra key for the car.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Last time I lost my key, I had to pay a locksmith $140 to make a new one.

That is why I said call them in the morning, that way you do not have to pay after hours prices.

I use a welding tip cleaning kit to pull out broken keys. There is no way to just pull out the cylinder for this switch and still be able to put it back together.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I called them earlier today and that's what their price is. $240! I was diagnosed with lung cancer in Dec. and I am on disability right now while being a full time student. My husband is not working at the moment so you can see the problem I'm in. I can't afford a locksmith.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I called a junkyard today and they have one for $50 but does not have a key. Another guy has one for $75 with the key, but still need instructions on how to remove and install

Try calling around and see if you can find a welding tip cleaner, they work great for pulling broken keys out, and they only cost $10.00

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok but if that doesn't work can you tell me how to remove and replace the switch?

They have small groves cut into them so they can get a good bite on the metal of the key so it can be pulled out. I posted the directions in an earlier post to you. I am looking to see if I have a good diagram so you can see exactly what to do.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so much for your time.

You are very welcome. be back asap with the diagrams.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
In case we get cut off, my email is***@******.***
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did you forget about me?

No I did not. I did find something for you that may be a little bit better for you, please have a look at this link I found just the lock cylinder for you.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/IDI0/180409/03701.oap?year=1992&make=Mazda&model=Miata&vi=1190898&ck=Search_ignition+lock+cylinder%21s%21assembly_1190898_-1&keyword=ignition+lock+cylinder%21s%21assembly

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well that's what I asked before if I can just replace the cylinder. How do you remove the old one?

I am sorry I did not know that oreilys sold them, they are the only parts store I was able to find one in. There are step by step directions in the box with the cylinder.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I think I might be able to get one cheaper at the local auto parts. So I don't have to remove the switch in order to chance the cylinder?

No the housing can stay in the car, but he will have to pull the covers off behind the steering wheel that cover the column.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Then how do you remove it? Is it just screws to get it out?

I know that you have to pull the chrome cover off of the old one, and there is a relies pin you have to push to get the old one out. The directions in the box with the new switch will tell you exactly what you have to do as well as what tools to use.