Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

Have 1997 b2300 4speed stick goes in gear without grinding

Customer Question

have 1997 b2300 4speed stick goes in gear without grinding but will not move
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** thank you for allowing me to assist you. So you said it ties to move ,but very slowly when you let the clutch out? This sounds like the clutch is worn out. the clutch disc is made out of brake like material and eventually wears out and has to be replaced. the other way you can tell is to lift the car and check between the engine and bell housing of the trans mission, it should show black material pieces f the disc lying in the bottom f the bell housing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I said that it did not move till it was pushed and the more gas I gave the faster it moved. would'nt it grind going into gear if the clutch was worn out?

No not necessarily the clutch is what transmits the power from the engine to the transmission so if it's worn out badly there is no power transfer. the only other thing that would do that without grinding gears is a broken transmission input shaft. But you said it tries to move when applying more gas so that eliminates the input shaft and goes back to my original answer -- the clutch disc. As I stated to take the guess work out of it look between the engine and bell housing that's where the clutch is , you should be able to see in there without taking the whole transmission down to verify my suspicions. Some have an accrual inspection plate you can remove to do that, if not loosen a couple bolts and pry out just enough to see if any clutch material is lying in there.