john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech,shop owner

2004 Mazda 3 - the CEL went on, shop replaced the purge

Customer Question

2004 Mazda 3 - the CEL went on, shop replaced the purge valve. CEL went on again a week later, and the computer codes indicate either the purge valve or the gas cap. I was told to replace the gas cap with a Mazda gas cap. CEL is on still after a week of driving. We smell gas after turning engine off after driving. Did the shop do something wrong?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
JA: What is the model of your '04 Mazda?
Customer: Mazda 3
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we already paid the shop $400 to replace the purge valve, as that's what they said was the problem
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I need to know if it's probably the same problem that was not repaired correctly and if the shop should repair it at no cost or if it's something different.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 2 months ago.

can you tell me the diagnostic codes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not anymore. I went to auto parts store after the light went on the second time; the code indicated either the purge valve (which had just been replaced less than a week prior) or a gas cap. Purchased a new gas cap at the parts store. When the CEL did not go off in a week, took to repair shop for 2nd time. The repair shop said I should purchase an official Mazda gas cap, so I went to the dealer and purchased another new gas cap. The CEL is still on a week later since official Mazda gas cap purchase.

can you get me the code # its pertinent

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will have to go to parts store again; earliest will be tomorrow morning.

ok just reply back

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Codes are:
P0442 (repeated)

did the shop check power to the purge ? did they use a factory mazda part? did they smoke test? it has 3 codes that we are worried about 2 are evap leaks and one is a purge valve or circuit..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The invoice only indicates they replaced the purge valve; it does not indicate any other steps taken.

was it a dealer or independent shop? a smoke test is needed

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Independent shop.

they will need to run a smoke test...if they do not have a smoke machine a shop equipped with one will be needed to properly diagnose