sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I am not getting any indicated satellite reception for my

Customer Question

I am not getting any indicated satellite reception for my navigation system in my 2016 CX-5 No bars. I have an older Tom tom unit I placed inside the car and it shows 7 sats with very strong signals.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I read the navigation manual. There was nothing in there to help with the problem I have described. I went through all of the settings to verify that nothing wasn't turned off that would effect the signal. I looked at the GPS signal indicators and there are no satellite signals. That is when I checked with another GPS unit to see that satellite signals are present and strong. What can I do next?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have had the car serviced about one month ago for the normal oil/tire rotation at the Mazda dealership. The nav system worked fine then and I didn't notice a problem until today. We have not disconnected the battery or given anyone a jump nor has the car been hit by lightning. That is all I can think of at this time.
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: 10,275 miles
Category: Mazda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This is either going to be an issue with the navigation unit it self or the GPS antenna. Usually this would be a failure of the antenna. It's not something that was accidentally turned off or a setting, there is an actual failure with the vehicle that is going to be diagnosed and repaired. With it being under warranty you'll simply need to see your dealer, the repair will be covered as long as the VIN isn't restricted for some reason (flood, total, etc).