Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

The check engine light comes on after I drive it a short

Customer Question

the check engine light comes on after I drive it a short distance. I do not notice any rough running. Nothing. runs great. Similar to the problem someone else wrote in 4 yrs ago what can it be? how do I check it?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stays on until the engine is shut off then stays off for a couple of minutes after I restart it.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: 1994 B4000 V6 4 w/d single cab
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked all fuses I get no clues of any kind just smogged recently
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the A/C compressor went out I replaced it with a used tested unit but have not charged the Freon yet Do you think that has anything to do with that?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi I david....sorry for this problem. first thing is to find out whats turning on the check engine light. you will need to have a diagnostic scan of the vehicle. usually on pre '96 vehicles, theres a way to jumper the diagnostic connector under the dash and count how many times the light flashes. not sure about yours, but i will find out.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am waiting for your further answer then?