350matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience

1994 Mazda 323. Gear lever stuck in park

Customer Question

Category: Mazda
Expert:  350matt replied 2 months ago.

I'd 1st investigate the connections to the brake pedal switch and the wiring to it for any crimp damage or fraying. Ideally use a multimeter to check that the switch is working OK. This is because the gearbox controller won't allow the lever to shift from park until it sees that your foot is on the brakes

There should be 2 switches one for the brake lights and the other for the gearbox and both are located at the top of the brake pedal in the drivers footwell.

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage for any broken parts and or missing bolts or if a bolt is partially out and is jamming things up

Expert:  350matt replied 2 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you