Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

While the ac is on the acceleration is poor. I have a 2006

Customer Question

While the ac is on the acceleration is poor. I have a 2006 mazda tribute. 4cylI have replaced the spark plugs and put a new belt on and used fuel sytem cleaner. But no luck. Also it will slightly hesistate on the free way. Is it my fuel filter. Or my fuel pump? Or nither?
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: No its the original
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If its a fuel pump then im going to take it to the shop
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Ac not cooling during b city drive only on freeway.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for letting me try to help you Let me ask a few questions to get a better picture if I may. does it idle OK and city driving OK?does it loose power going up steep long hills as well?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Idles fine.. its the go from a stop seems very sluggish. Only when the AC is on. And it has a slight shudder on the highway...Could it be the tansmission fluid is done for?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Going steep hills i have no steep hills to climb in my area. So i wouldnt know.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will say... i can barely cross a busy street safely. Theres a big differnce from crossing a street with the ac on and without the ac.

well then lets do this, have you done a performance test on your a/c recently? this may show if it's over charged or has a blockage in the pressure side causing an extra load and low cooling in city/ do that first then if all ok i would suggest having your exhaust convertors checked for blockage as they do tend to deteriorate and plug over time causing too much back pressure starving the engine not allowing it t breath these tests and let me know they can certainly cause the problem. good luck

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I show the ac was over charged. Can i just bleed out the coolant. I pretty sure the EPA wont like that? Also should i put a transmission fluid reviver in?

you mean let some Freon out? I won't tell you to do that it's against the law never get caught doing that . but lower it properly. As for the trans , whens the last time you changed the fluid? if it'd dark or black and smells burnt you have maybe done irreversible damage to the transmission already, transmission fluid rejuvenate rs are just gimmicks in my opinion and in some cases can do more damage. flush the transmission and refill with new fluid of the right type. hope this helps your problem let us know and good luck