Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

I have a '99 mazda Miata and experience lost of spark when

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I have a '99 mazda Miata and experience lost of spark when hot in the engine compartment. Only code is MAP. HAve already replaced the coil pack, plugs, wires,fuel pump. pressure regulator, cam sensor but still when it gets hot,
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: It first starts to fall off like there is no excelerator pump on a caburated motor.
JA: What is the model of your '99 Mazda?
Customer: It also idles at 1500 to 2000 rpm and jumps around. Only seems to mess up when it gets really hot under the hood. water temp is normal.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: se above
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: could it be the crank sensor hanging up when it gets hot? What about the MAF It seems to act up when hot but after it runs on the hiway for a few minutes, it clears up and is back to running great
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How can I check the mass air flow sensor it feels like the throttle position sensor might be getting too hot and not contacting the
L-pad and causes the engine rpm to increase. I can drive it only if I push the pedal down to get enough torque to move the car.
Turned on the heater inside the cabin to help cool down the water (which is not hot or boiling) and it starts to run correct again
once the bonnet temps are down
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

you can check mass airflow sensor with a scan tool if you have one that can read live data and looking at the g/s for air flow is it registering 5 g/s on idle and 300 + when you give it a kick down at the moment it changes gear from 2nd to 3rd gear ?

what the fault code # for the MAP sensor and is there any other fault codes in the system ?

what is the mileage on the car

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat