Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I have a 2004 rx8, i just purchased it and had a flood

Customer Question

hi i have a 2004 rx8, i just purchased it and had a flood issue, after a de flood procedure i lost all electrics, i checked thru car and all fuses fine, dash lights work but no crank or accesory lights, no key symbol is flashing and on further investigation found that someone has removed that black piece around the ignition barrel that senses the fob key, yet strangely enough when you put the key to on and put 12v on starter solonoid it starts, and give it a little rev and all electrics work again , but when going back to iddle i loose accesories power( stereo/ heater etc), then shut down the car and everything dead again except dash lights, has someone bypased the immobiler system but how? and what do i do to get it to work normal again as it was all working ok, by the way when i jump the starter and the engine is running the engine control light is on and the dsc and antiskid etc
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hi Roeland,

If the immobilizer light is not lit, and many other functions don't work, I would say the BCM (body control module) has been water damaged, fried.

Gary

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
but howcome it all works by hoteiring the starter, couldvit have been fitted with a after market keyless entree unit?
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

The key is read by the BCM.

The BCM enables the start relay if a programmed key is read.

With the ignition on, hotwiring the starter gets the engine running.

How bad was the flooding in the car?

Gary

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it was fuel flooded not water flooded. as i said earlier it doesnt have that black coil thing around the frint of the ignition barrell and only has a aftermarket key with a remote control lock as a seperate piece like you would with a aftermarket alarm system but this has no alarm fitted, thats why i asked if the immobiliser can be bypassed? if you cant bypass the immobilzer then why will it run normal if i jump the starter solonoid?
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

Sorry for confusion here Roeland.

I would contact the seller.

It has some other system that I can't help you with.

It might have some secret way only the owner driver would know, that they should have shown you?

Gary