Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech

I think I dropped a coin into the cup holder of the center

Customer Question

I think I dropped a coin into the cup holder of the center console. We have had the car to the dealership twice and they have removed the shift cover and removed a coin. Just drove away, and heard a coin slide, again. Is there a way to remove the cup holder and check if it is under it?
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: 2012 bought in Jan 2013 with 38k miles. I drive 6 miles round trip to work, daily. No transmission problems.
JA: What is the model of your '12 Mazda?
Customer: CX-9
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My husband said he would give it a try. He is mechanically and handy. I'm the daughter of a retired mechanic, and just like to know and understand what is going on. I told my husband I would reach out on line for help.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Just how to get under the cup holder. Dealership mechanics have been great. If I take it back for a third look, I'll be the crazy lady mechanics talk about...
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Have a look at the steps in the link below for the console removal steps including the cup holder and see if this will help you retrieve your coin.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't see the link for the steps to remove the console.