Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech
7276279

Power steering is out on an 06 Mazda rx-8, No noises. Fluid

Customer Question

Power steering is out on an 06 Mazda rx-8
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: No noises. Fluid is fine. I had an issue with the battery and when I fixed it the power steering was out
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: 60a fuse is good still
JA: What year is your Mazda?
Customer: 2006 Mazda rx-8 shinka
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. We checked the connectors under the airbox. We checked a relay called ST and it works but has power on both terminals. Which doesn't make sense to me
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Umm we can't trace power to the connectors under the airbox. The black wire has continuity but not the res Res
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

When the power steering system failed the computer system should have detected a system fault and set and stored a fault code. In order to determine the fault the next steps in going to be to have the system scanned to see what the fault code and or codes are that should be setting. Are you able to get this done and post back with the results?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not as soon as I would like
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Okay, one thing you can try that might work is to do a system reset, remove both battery cables and touch them together of a few seconds and then reconnect them and start the engine and see if the power steering returns. If after doing this and the problem remains then the scan will need to be done.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Obd reader came up with 0 codes
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Your not going to be able to retrieve power steering codes with a simple code reader, you need a full scan tool.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would need to take it to a Mazda dealer?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Any automotive shop can do this scan for you with a full scan tool. I dose not have to be a Mazda dealer.