john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech,shop owner

My daughter was driving her 07 Mazda 3 at gh speed when I

Customer Question

My daughter was driving her 07 Mazda 3 at high speed when I believe oil pump failed & shortly later had to pull over cause engine quit running. Had it towed home. I tried to turn engine with a socket wrench on crankshaft pulley with no success. Is engine toast?
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: It was 500 miles away from next change. I checked he oil 3 weeks ago and level was fine.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: Its an 07 Mazda3 Grand touring with the 2.3 litre motor
JA: What year is your Touring?
Customer: 2007
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I read online from Mazda mechanic that to drain oil. Pour 2 gals of diesel fuel into oil filler hole. wait a couple days drain . then try to turn engine with socket on pulley to see if it breaks free.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No...
Category: Mazda
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 2 months ago.

i am terribly sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your diagnoses is spot on. There is a small chance it may be hydro-locked to check this you can pull the spark plugs and see if it will turn over. If that doesn't get it to turn over then the motor has catastrophic failure do to running dry and over heating. To confirm the motor has failed you can drop the oil pan and pulling the bearings one by one and inspecting them for scoring/ damage or signs of lack of lube( discoloration, black or bluing )