peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

2007 Mazda CX-9 Keyless Entry fob seems to be OK meaning

Customer Question

2007 Mazda CX-9 Keyless Entry fob seems to be OK meaning battery, locks and unlocks fine. However the system (internal to the car seems to be very hit or miss. have to physically lock or unlock the doors with the fob sitting inside the car to get it to start. Push button on exterior door handle hit or miss also.
JA: Have you double-checked to make sure the positive and negative signs are lined up correctly?
Customer: On the battery? It had been working just fine. Battery is approx 3 months old. This just started in the past 2 weeks. But I will try it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing so far, just wondering besides the fob what else it may be
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The rear lift gate push button lift switch has been out for several years now, but other than that it has been fine. Just did not not want to replace a $300 plus key fob if I did not have too.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The most common cause for this issue here is a fault with the remote itself.It may test o.k. and send out signals but they may be weak signals due to an internal fault with the remote needing replaced.I have run across this several times before in the past and had to replace the fob.I would have the fault codes checked to see what codes are set using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers.Any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.The remote can usually be tested properly by a dealer to see if for sure it needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Could you clarify the term "what codes are set"? I am familiar with the mechanic scanning the vehicle codes to have an idea of where to start diagnosing the problems, what does being "set" mean?

Set means any codes that are logged or stored by the computer/scan tool.You want to have these checked using a scan tool plugged into your vehicle that can communicate with all computers in your model as some scan tools are only designed to read engine codes.

Thanks Pete