Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech

I have a 2004 Mazda MPV van with one standing issue and just

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Mazda MPV van with one long standing issue and just had an issue tonight. Help! Local Mazda dealer are crooks.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order for any of us to be able to help you with the problem you are having it would be very useful to know what the problem is. Please post back with complete details with the issue your trying to resolve and we can work from there .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK: I have a 2004 Mazda MPV van. Around 85,000 miles, it started to really act up when it rained. It would shutter and lurch. I then took it to Mazda and they "could find nothing wrong with it." This has been going on forever. I have been to several chat rooms re this model and year van, and it seems it has had a lot of issues... In the mean time, the car has: new speak plugs, new coils, a new IAC, a new air filter and a new hose that goes on the air filter. We have cleaned out the throttle body numerous times as well and added fuel cleaners. My husband and I are wondering now if it might be the PCV hose or the mass air sensor?? The car is particularly bad when it rains and I run the AC.Unrelated to this ongoing going madness is that yesterday the care made a loud kind of metallic sound when I turned on the AC and the fan stopped working and now the ac makes a rattling sound when you turn it on! Ugh! Is it a pulley or belt or what?? HELP!!I have to make this car last three more years and I am getting worried it's not safe to drive:(
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

In most cases if the PCV and or the MAF have a problem the computer will set a fault code. Has the computer system been scanned and if so where there any fault codes setting?

Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

The AC problem your describing sound to me like the AC compressor or the AC clutch have failed on you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Ron. ALL the people I have taken this car to (Mazda, BP, and Sears) say they get no code reading. We took it to a mechanic today and have asked them to please check and replace the PCV while fixing the AC. We are PRAYING this does it. I am really disappointed that Mazda, years ago, didn't cop to some of these MAJOR defects. Oh well...
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Okay If I can help let me know .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the AC is fixed. They did a smoke vac test and found no issues. They did not want to just replace the PCV valve as a matter of course with no indicators. They asked me to being it in the next time the engine light comes on for a diagnostic, though that happens really now. I guess it will just be the new "normal" for my car...oh well!
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

If they can scan it when the engine light is on they should be able to get the fault code and determine the cause.