Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech

My 1997 Mazda Protege started intermittently dying while

Customer Question

My 1997 Mazda Protege started intermittently dying while driving especially when it is hot outside. It began happening more frequently until the car would not start at all, but cranks slowly. The car headlights, interior lights, radio, power door locks, and air still work when the ignition is in ON position, but the power windows don't work unless the engine is running. A mechanic replaced the spark plugs/wires, distributor cap, rotor, and performed a fuel injection cleaning. I replaced the fuel pump relay and battery terminals. I'm aware of the recent ignition switch recall on '90s Mazdas, but my VIN is not part of it.
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I checked the MAF sensor and it isn't clogged. I also checked for burnt fuses in the main fuse block and fuse panel. The person who owned the car before me installed a '90s aftermarket kill switch called the Clifford Auto Immobilizer that is connected to the ignition and starter - not sure if it can malfunction and cause an issue.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse at the injectors and proper fuel pressure (29 to 34 PSI). When the engine will not start can you check each one of these things and see which one your lacking and report back with this and we can work from there to determine the cause.