Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

I have a 2003 mazda protege 5 2.0l DOHC. I just replaced the

Customer Question

Hi i have a 2003 mazda protege 5 2.0l DOHC. I just replaced the motor in it due to the old one blowing up. Now i have everything together and it starts up and runs and then dies very quickly after. It stalls out during idle, but driving up the road it seems to be powerful and okay. there are so many vacuum lines and parts that could be connected differently and i tried to follow the ALldata diagrams as best i could. i believe i have them all installed right. I have checked compression (180 psi) and have induced seafoam into the intake with no success. The only thing i can think of is a vacuum leak. I did pull the intake off of the old engine and reinstalled it onto this engine. i used a new gasket and torqued the bolts to manufacturer's specs. Could this be an EGR problem? Fuel Problem? or am i on the right track as far as vacuum leak?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

Definitely vacuum will cause it and fuel pump, but was car running good before ?so what the pump be an issue , have the pressure checked specs are if you dont have them already
Egr will give you lack op power for sure but it will throw misfire codes

is there an fault codes at present time and what are they if any ?

Fuel line pressure 270 - 310 kpa {2.7 - 3.2 kgf/, 39 - 45 psi}

Fuel hold pressure than150 kpa { 1.5 kgf/, 22 psi}

Can you hook up your scanner and read out for me the short term fuel trims and the long terms fuel trims ?

and if you pull up the 2 upstream o2 sensor are they fluctuating from 0 to 9 v ?

please let me know

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Okay so i went to check the fuel pressure and to disconnect the line i had to pull the intake tube. this has a cold air intake aftermarket setup. So i disconnected the MAF sensor and then installed the gauge. the psi was steady at 32 psi. When i started it without the MAF sensor ity seemed to idle by itself. it started at 3K RPM and the went down to about 1K RPM and was slightly choppy. When i plugged the MAF back in it immediately stalled out. I checked the MAF sensors wiring and it has a good power and ground and when i spray a slight mist of air through it its signal wire changes voltage. Could this sensor be the problem even though its signal is changing?

is this 32 psi key on engine off , because we need to see 39 to 45 psi at key on engine off.

be hones the maf sensor be hard to figure out ,without a scope hooked up and looking at the graph and record over time running and see any fluctuation , unless you replace it

but before maf, lets make sure that the fuel pressure is good 32 psi is low .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Okay at idle (as good as idle can be) pressure is at 36-37psi. When the engine is about to stall out the pressure rises to 40 psi.

how about not running key on engine off ?

hey Dustin

how are you

did you get if fixed or you like more help on it , please just let me know ?