350matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience

2003 Mazda 6 died while driving. Turns over ok but wont

Customer Question

2003 Mazda 6 died while driving. Turns over ok but wont start.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Engine does turn over fine. Battery is good (new). Got a Po444 code from computer.
JA: What is the model of your '03 Mazda?
Customer: Mazda 6, 4 cyl
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Had my mechanic check fuel pump and check engine compression. He says they are ok. Although I suspect a fuel problem myself. He thinks it a sensor problem. and, yes I'd like to fix myself.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  350matt replied 3 months ago.

I'm going to assume that this is the petrol version

so if the fuel pump is running I'd 1st check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its lead and rest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals.

If not then check that there's power to the coil pack (at the other end of the plug lead) using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.

If there is a spark and its still not starting then its likely that the ECU isn't opening the fuel injectors, if the injectors are working you can hear them click - its difficult to hear them with background noise so use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope, placing the handle end in your ear and the metal tip against the body of the injector whilst your assistant turns the engine over.

If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fusebox and on its relay socket if OK then check the connections to the crank speed sensor and consider replacing this sensor if the wiring / connections look OK

If the car will start using a squirt of quick/ easi start into the intake then this confirms the problem is lack of fuel

Expert:  350matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you