350matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience

I have a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3, and the VVT Actuator is making

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3, and the VVT Actuator is making the noise all of them do eventually. I got all the parts needed to replace - Timing Chain, chain guides, new serpentine belt, new VVT Actuator, and figured I'd replace the water pump while it's all torn apart. The car has a few mods, in particular, a front mount inter cooler, so that may change the repair procedures.
I'm pretty mechanically inclined, so was going to try the work myself. Is there a good set of directions, and any tips as well, that you could guide me towards? Thanks for the help!!!
Scott W
Category: Mazda
Expert:  350matt replied 3 months ago.

Hello Scott

the attached images should detail the cam timing procedure for you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What are the procedures for the VVT Actuator replacement, and the water pump? Thanks!
Expert:  350matt replied 3 months ago.

the vvt actuator / cam pulley is held in place with a large central bolt and timed to the cam with a dowel pin so its a case of just removing the pulley and bolting up the new - this is shown on the cam timing data I just posted up

as for the water pump then just unbolts? tightening torque is 10Nm for the bolts

Expert:  350matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you