Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

I am interested in changing the window channel on the sides

Customer Question

I am interested in changing the window channel on the sides that the window glass slides up and down between. I have tried lubricant and I have continued to have a problem with friction when the window slides up and down. The mazda is a 2003 Miata se
JA: What is the model of your '03 Mazda?
Customer: Miata MX 5 SE
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am hoping to fix it my self. I had to change out the regulators on both windows and you can clearly see the rubber channels are causing the window to stick which I believe caused both of the plastic channels on the window regulator that guide the cables to break.
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The door moulding window channel seems to be in place and is not an issue. I have a good understanding of how the rubber fits in the side of the door frame I just need to know the type of moulding I would need to use to replace it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 8 months ago.

Hi. What exactly id your question on the window?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What universal rubber window channel can I purchase to replace the existing one?

You have not called the dealer or parts stores to see if the correct part is available?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am talking about a weather seal or replacement part for the window panel. I do not want to purchase a OEM window channel moulding for 70.00 or more for each door when I would be possible to use one that is considered universal and could be cut to fit and replace the existing one.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I meant the channel in the door where the window slides up and down

that part is called the window run. but I do not know of universal material for that. I would think you would want to contact a vehicle restoration place.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The window run fits on either side of the door horizontal and has pieces each side fitting across both sides of the door.

Actual thats the belt molding. But I will open this question back up if you would like to see if another expert knows where to get the universal material.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Since I have not gotten an answer from you Eric, I would like you to open this question for someone else. I have seen of 3 or 4 different part internet sites different channels that would work for a 2003 Mazda Miata I am just not sure which one would be the best choice. I would not want to remove the existing one if I don't have to in order to see which one I need I was hoping an expert on cars would know

OK. Sounds good.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please make sure it is someone who works with Mazda Miatas. Please make sure they understand it is the window channel run that fits in and over the top and bottom of the "vent" window.