Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech

I have a 2003 6 3L and I am getting the code p1410. I have a

Customer Question

I have a 2003 6 3L and I am getting the code p1410. I have a cold air intake, but it was installed by the previous owner. I've seen some of your posts about the VAD but I dont know how it's supposed to be hooked up or how to see if it is malfunctioning. Thanks!
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The code P1410 dose indicate you have a problem with the Variable air duct (VAD) control system and or the circuit. In order to determine what is failing you are going to need to do some testing. I have enclosed the test steps in the link below .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks! I am having a bit of trouble digesting this guide however, I am not incredibly mechanically apt. I have a mechanic who I will show this to but until then, could you possibly clear up the troubleshooting steps for the valve?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Have your mechanic have a look at the steps, he will know how to read and follow them.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I noticed the vad valve is not connected to anything by the casing, rather it is just floating around. Could this cause the valve not to work properly? If so where can I attach the valve? Picture shows battery and cold air intake with vad valve in between
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am now also getting p0441, p0431 and p0174 indicating lean condition.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

The fault codes P0411 and P0431 are emission fault codes and not vacuum leak code and Mazda has released a service bulletin dealing with this code calling for replacing the stuck purge valve. I have enclosed the bulletin in the link below.

I would address these codes first because if the valve is leaking it can cause the lean code P0174 your getting.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Does the valve need to be grounded onto a something since it's no longer got the stock air intake? I noticed the casing for the valve is metal and has a bolt sticking out of it indicating it to be mounted somewhere. Since this is a ground side switch could this cause it to malfunction?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

The ground should be provide through the circuit.