sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My engine started to have a light ticking noise so i was

Customer Question

My engine started to have a light ticking noise so i was told to use marvel mystery to help with the clogged lifter but just a few hrs after using mystery oil the engine started to make a even louder ticking noise and had a bad loss of power on the highway. As i came to a stop the car wanted to die out and would only stay running if i fed it gas but. I just turned it off fron fear off causing further damage
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

Hi there,

What can I do to assist you?

Is the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but its showing clog cat
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

Sorry, but I am unable to come to the phone at this time.

If the converter is actually clogged, then the car isn't going to want to run. What I would do is start by removing the up stream O2 sensor, take it right out and start the car. If it's blocked, the car should run, although it will be very loud. As for the ticking noise, that's difficult to diagnose online, BUT if it's a bad ignition coil, that would cause raw fuel into the converter and could cause it to melt down and plug up.

I would start here and at least see if the car will idle on it's own.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the main problem i am tryin to diagnose is the engine ticking/grinding noise.the o2 sensor on the cat is the cose settinf on/off the check engine light and has been doing so for months with no issues it wasnt until it started to tick and i added the marvel mystery when i started to expierence a even louder ticking noise and lose of power
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

may I ask what engine filter you were trying to clean with the mystery oil?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i was told the ticling noise was most likely due to a clogged lifter for me to use marvel mystery oil to possibly help unclogg it and a few hrs after it grew even louder and i started to loss power. Now when i start the car all you hear is a loud noise like something is being tossed around inside of the engine
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

Ok, first, the car has an overhead cam engine. No lifters, so the info you got wasn't good. That being said, the marvel oil may have washed the bearings and caused damage, but it sounds possible that the ticking could be a result of a cam shaft bearing, this would also cause a grinding sound. The cam itself could also be an issue. I would expect a misfire code with it if that were the case to be honest though.

It is also possible that the noise is the timing belt tensioner failing and the timing is now off and that's why the engine won't run without you feeding it some gas.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
okay i am going to run to the autoparts store and rent the thing to check the checkengine codes and i will get back to you on if any new codes appear
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

Ok, sounds good, I would look for a cam sensor code or a crank sensor code. This would tell us if the timing was off or not.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have 2 codes one says fuel pressure regulator control circuit and the other says o2 circuit no activity detected
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

I can't see the fuel pressure regulator making any ticking/grinding type of noise although I guess it could be possible. No activity in the O2 sensor could be the cat blocked up.

I still think you should pull the front O2 right out and see if there is any change in performance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The o2 sensor would cause a ticking/ grinding noise inside of the engine?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

No, but it would cause the power loss.

Let me open this back up for the other experts see if anyone else has any ideas for you.

Please don't reply or it will lock it back to me.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Were you setting a catalyst efficiency code leading up to this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The car burns oil so the check engine light would come on nd off but the loud knocking noise coming from the top half of the block is whats concerning me

The knocking noise is due to internal engine damage but I'm trying to determine what the issue is with the catalytic converter you were referencing. A restricted catalytic converter will cause low power or a no start condition so you may have more than one problem going on at the same time. The knock is an internal engine issue and will require it's disassembly for inspection. You can do a compression test to get a better idea if the problem is with valvetrain or bottom end, but if the converter is restricted then compression tests won't be accurate.