Brian Barr
Brian Barr,
Experience:  head tech at Jrs Automotive Sales and Service

Won't start.. starts when pushed down a ll but its real weak

Customer Question

Won't start.. starts when pushed down a hill but its real weak when it does start and doesn't idle
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery? What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: Yeah it turns over, not sure how old the battery is recently had it charged at AutoZone when I do try to start I have it connected to another car
JA: What year is your Mazda?
Customer: 2004 rx 8
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am, I've tried pulling the plugs cleaning and drying them I've checked the catalytic converter, checked to make sure coils where sparking, cleaned ssv valve, cleaned maf sensor, even thought it was in limp mode at one time so moved the omp sensor a bit until it actually went intolimp mode moved it back and it went back to normal
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Before it became weak it would not start hot when it did began to act up I had pushed it to start
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Brian Barr replied 3 months ago.
Hi when you try to start car you have to have the battery jumped from what I am reading?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yeah that's correct

Have you checked if the alternator is charging at about 14.v idle ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I have not as it does not idle

Well first things first you need to put the battery on a charger and let it charge once it has charged let it see and make sure it holds a charge. If it does I would suspect a bad alternator. Ir should be able to run off its own battery power not need a jump. Low voltage will cause alot of issues in a cars electronics and will cause injectors to no fire correctly and much more.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well I've had it charge last time I tried to start it a couple weeks ago then I push started it and Idrove it around for a couple miles even though it was still weak on horse power it never died as long as my foot was on the gas even had the radio on, it died when I brought it back home and let off the gas.. do you still think it could be the alternator?

If it drove around for a while I don't believe it to be a alternator, I would charge battery and make sure it holds charge. May have parasitic drain or bad cell.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ill try a new battery if the problem resides any other suggestions?

It seems like that should take care of it but, If it continues you will need to start looking Into electrical systems and components.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you

No problem at all!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How can I check the fuel pressure?

This is how you would check fuel pressure

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My pressure gauge only has one hose and than a small bleed hose, and at the end of the main hose there is threads does the rx 8 not have a valve to connect this to ?

You would need a master kit or the proper attachments. If you can't find the proper gauge you can disconnect the pressure line to the fuel rail place water bottle over end and crack that will give a volume sample and atleast tell you fuel is at rail.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Oh ok sounds good could you lead me in the right derection as far as getting the proper gauge

You would need to do research and either speak with a snap on dealer or go to local tool store and ask if they carry it..