Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech
7276279

I have a 2012 Mazda 5 w/208k kms on it. I have recently

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I have a 2012 Mazda 5 w/208k kms on it. I have recently experienced progressively erratic idle the past few days to the point where it has stalled a couple times when trying to excellerate from a stop, and when backing it up my driveway. The dealer tells me there is no software update for the PCM, and a reflash will do nothing. They claim there are no tsbs regarding this issue, however I'm not sure that's the case. They are suggesting a dead/dying PC
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 208k kms, 2.5L
JA: What is the model of your '2147481646 Mazda?
Customer: Mazda 5
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've cleaned the throttle body, and cleared the code. It only the a code once, and it was p061B.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That under load wen actually accelerating it feels fine, but when idling it almost feels likes it's surging, and there are blips with the idle, sometimes cyclic.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The common cause for the code P061B to set providing there are no other code setting is usually caused by a failing PCM and or the connection to it. You can verify this with the enclosed pinpoint test. I have checked and they are correct, there are no service bulletins for this type of problem. See the test steps in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/PCM%20Jul%207.pdf

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Ron,Thank you very much for your reply. This engine code only came on once the entire time that this has been happening. This morning on my way to work, the car stalled out twice, once while coasting (no electrical load, and no throttle input), and then again as I came to a stop. Can this still signal the PCM (or its connectors), or could it be more mechanical like vacuum leaks etc?Thanks,
Patrick
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Patrick,

When you get a chance see if there are any fault codes setting before we rule the PCM out. If you can get this done and let me know , we can wok from there. Im here all day.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ron,My apologies for the delayed response. I checked and there was just the p061b on it's own again. I have since cleared it, and it has not stalled on me, however there is still a little stumble in the idle, especially when in reverse when trying to back uphill in my driveway. I'm currently replacing items that are due (like spark plugs, PCV, air filter, oil change) and will be doing a power flush on the transmission. I pulled the PCM connectors and could not identify any evidence of damage on the pins. I even tried jiggling the wires connecting to the PCM while the car was idling and could not get any reaction. At this point I'd like to identify all the sensors that feed signals to the PCM, and check their operation if possible.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

All sensor feed there signal to the PCM and the list is long, that being said, if you have a failing sensor, it will set a fault code and at this point your not getting any fault codes. I would go ahead and do your maintenance and see how the turns out.