Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

Ew- I have a 2012 Mazda CX-9. I recently had to replace my

Customer Question

Hello Drew-I have a 2012 Mazda CX-9. I recently had to replace my Body Control Module, because I had a leak from my windshield which caused me to loose functions such as keyless remote, power locks, rear hatch, turn signals, etc and I had a bunch of warning lights on my dash like ABS, Traction Control.ect. Despite this my car still started and drove well. After I replaced the Body Control Module, my key-less entry feature works, but when I go to start my car, nothing happens. I can turn the key but not a sound. I noticed that the red-key light is on now. It seems like something is setting off the immobilizer or maybe the ECU shorted too. One last thing, my OBDII port is not allowing my scanner to connect to the vehicle either....Your thoughts?Yes, I've checked every fuse with a powerprobe 3 and I have a fully charged battery.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 3 months ago.

seems like the body control module isnt communicating with the computer was the module bought new or second hand

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Any way to correct/test that? It was purchased second hand....thought I'd try that first, but probably wasn't my best move. It is strange that it would solve my remote locks not working when I had the old BCM.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 3 months ago.

honestly no test is going to tell you for sure the only way is to swap it for a good im going to venture to say you got a bad part it happens when you buy second hand and as for you remote lock issue the new bcm you have is just communicating better then the old one if you need anything else please let me know and be sure to rate my service when you get the chance

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tell me many BCM modules have you replaced in your 5 years with Mazda? It's very true that I could have received a bad part and I'm willing to purchase a new one and try that, but there has to be a way to test this.I tried replacing my old BCM and my car will still not start (which it used to). I find that odd. Something else has to be going on. I can't believe I'm going to put in another BCM and everything will magically work. Why is my key not being recognized? I don't want to start throwing mud at the wall with expensive parts hoping they'll work. I need someone's help who has experience with this. If you don't that's okay, but please refer me to someone who does.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 3 months ago.

i apologize i didnt see where the red key light is on have you tried to reprogram your key

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Could you please refer me to someone else? I don't have time to answer questions if you don't want to thoroughly read my initial post and hope to put me off with a quick answer that won't help. I need an experience Mazda mechanic that can guide me through this.