sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My 2011 Mazda 6 alarm keeps going off randomly. Dealer said

Customer Question

My 2011 Mazda 6 alarm keeps going off randomly. Dealer said they can't disable it. Last time it went off 3 a.m. My neighbors are not happy!
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Is your battery fully charged?
Customer: It is at the dealer now. I will ask them. If they have, what would be next?
JA: What is the model of your '11 Mazda?
Customer: They did some computer check that cost $105 and said it was both back doors. Cost to fix would be $350 EACH!
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: BTW, the car has 64K miles. Is it normal for this to happen at this mileage?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No, I just took it to the dealer, but a $700 fix is not affordable on top of what it is costing for 60,000 mile check. They won't just disarm the alarm.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Factory security watches door ajar switches an if it sees a door open without the system being disarmed then the alarm will go off. What they've found is that either history showed the alarm went off because a back door showed activity or they actually saw the problem happen while monitoring data. Either way, what they're wanting to replace are the door latches because they contain the door ajar switches.

I wouldn't consider it normal but not unheard of.

If you aren't able to afford the repair then the door latches can be unplugged to prevent their ajar switches from sending a signal, but that will also prevent dome lights from coming on when the doors are opened and you'd lose power locks on those doors.