Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

My cx7 air conditioner blows hot at idle and starts to cool

Customer Question

My cx7 air conditioner blows hot at idle and starts to cool a little while driving. AC coolant has never been less than full.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?
Customer: No leaks. Never has leaked.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: 2009 cx 7
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The entire system was replaced by mechanic in October 2015. It has the same problem now that I took it to them to fix.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The system is trying to work but for some reason does not cool enough.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am an ASE master tech, glad to help you out with this.

Whenever you have a problem cooling at idle, it is usually the electric cooling fan not working or the ac compressor is bad.

A pressure check at idle with the ac on would verify this. Also check that the electric fans come on whenever the ac is on. They should be running on low speed at all times. Also make sure your ac condensor is clean and free of debris.

I would check the fans first on this.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question, this does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have?

Thanks Dan