Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

1992 B2600I 5 speed 4x4 difficult to engage any gear.

Customer Question

1992 B2600I 5 speed 4x4 difficult to engage any gear. Problem is intermittent with no real pattern. Possibly more common when "cold" on initial startup but does occur after operating. (4x4 not engaged)
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: Not sure of miles (troubleshooting for friend) but above 80k. Yes fluid leak not coolant possibly motor oil.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Self if possible, but have reputable mechanic available
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The vehicle sat unused for approx 1 year been back in use about 3 months (purchased at that time) Motor oil changed Coolant drained flushed and pressure tested. Mechanic inspected the slave cylinder and found no leaks.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

The first thing to check is the fluid level in the manual transmission. Sometimes when they get low it will make it hard to get into gear. Is this something you can do?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can do..(supposedly check prior to purchase but will verify.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Any possibility the transfer case is causing it to bind? I owned a 91 Ranger STX and had issues with the shift motor (actually wiring problem when solved) I have experience with wiring and electronics so I have to ask.
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

This transmission needs to be full all the way to the check plug. If it's even just a little low it will make it hard to shift. This transmission takes 80w90 gear oil and the check plug is on the driver's side (if I remember correctly). The plug is usually a square head-unless it has been replaced.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for info on fluid, will check that first and top off if needed, hope its that simple (truck belongs to mother in law !)
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

After checking the fluid you should check to make sure the clutch fluid looks ok and then pump the clutch a couple of times and check to see if the fluid aerates. If it does then the clutch cylinder might be wearing out and not actually pushing in all the way. This would also make it hard to get into gear.

Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

The transfer case wouldn't normally cause the transmission to bind- sometimes they will stick in 4wd or in 2wd but they don't have a ton of interference with the manual transmission.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will do...may be delay in response..spotty cell service at location of vehicle..thanks again
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

Sounds good. Let me know if you need more info.

Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

I wanted to see if you need any more help with this one.

Please let me know if you do.

Don't forget to rate if you no longer need assistance.