Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech

The car lurches under acceleration. The lurching stops if I

Customer Question

The car lurches under acceleration. The lurching stops if I go to different positions with the pedal or take my foot completely off of it
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: It,s a 2008 2.0L 5 speed manual with 150k miles. I have not checked the filters
JA: What is the model of your '08 Mazda?
Customer: 3i
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, currently looking for ideas of what the prob may be
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have read about bad grounds and throttle position sensor. Is that just b s ?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are describing could be a Throttle position concern along with many other things and the first thing that you need to do to determine the cause is to have the computer system scanned to see what the fault code and or code are that should be setting. If you can get this done and post back with the results I will see if I can help you get this resolved.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you mean go to a mazda dealer and have them scan? I have no CELs. Or go to a parts store and use their scanner?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Most auto part stores such as Auto Zone can do a scan for you at no charge. Stop by and have them run the scan even though the check engine light is not on. If the TP is bad there should be a stored fault code.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, I will get back to you later
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Sure thing, Im here when your ready.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Ron, I had the car scanned and no codes at all.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Well then the next thing you going to need to do is connect a scan tool that can read the data stream and monitor the PIS and see if you can see what dropping out while the problem is occurring.