Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

RX8 is overheating... no apparent water in the oil... no

Customer Question

RX8 is overheating... no apparent water in the oil... no white smoke... coolant was low, but added and it still overheats. any ideas?
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: Yes... coolant was low... but cant find any leaks
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: 2005 RX8
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes... nothing
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

If there is no leak onto the ground then the coolant is being lost when overheating from overflow or it is being consumed inside the engine. The coolant would have to be very low like a gallon low to be the blame for overheating. It sounds like it was not that low, so the loss is not the cause of running hot. That is going to be a cooling fan not working, thermostat sticking, water pump impellers worn, or a internal engine issue that is packing air into the cooling system, preventing the coolant from flowing. Can you run a compression and cooling system pressure test to see if they are low or leaking down?

If your confused on what to do now. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If your not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you are pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I run a compression check or coolant system pressure check without taking it into dealer?

Yes you can do those if you have the tools to do so.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also... Can I just remove the thermostat and see if it doesn't overheat?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok.... What tools do I need? Anything that would specific to this engine

Yes you can remove and leave out the thermostat though that can lead to the engine running poor as well as lead to it running hot because there is no pause in the coolant flow allowing it to cool off in the radiator with it constantly flowing. No special tools are needed to replace a thermostat.

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you're not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris