Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

03 mazda 6 3.0 manual trans. has been sititing yr +. codes

Customer Question

03 mazda 6 3.0 manual trans. has been sititing for 1 yr +. codes 340 &345. plus all dash warning lights on. charging voltage are 13.7-14.5. first start extreemly low and heard exaust through intake. took out front upper o2 and it idled a little better. no pressuree through the intake. All lights still on dash, rpm gauge irratic, slow rpm response and actully seems to be cutting out and surging when accelerated
JA: What happens when you step on the gas? Do you notice a rough idle?
Customer: not as I would think for a timing issue,
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: 03
JA: What year is your Mazda?
Customer: 03
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 03 mazda 6 3.0 manual trans. has been sititing for 1 yr +. codes 340 &345. plus all dash warning lights on. charging voltage are 13.7-14.5. first start extreemly low and heard exaust through intake. took out front upper o2 and it idled a little better. no pressuree through the intake. All lights still on dash, rpm gauge irratic, slow rpm response and actully seems to be cutting out and surging when acceler
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: hahahahaha I think the mechanic should know EVERYTHING!!!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am an ASE master tech and I can help you with this.

Sounds like you have a cat that is clogged, I have seen this before on your car, be careful as the egr valve can suck cat dust back into the engine and destroy the rings. The oil will have a silver tint to it if this already happened. You also may have a separate problem with those cam codes, or it could be related, if the egr sucked in cat dust and that dust is clogging the veins in the oil system for the vvt solenoids.

Let me know if you have any more questions and please rate the answer.

Thanks, Dan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
let me check it out!!!
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

ok sounds good

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it does look a little silver. i
do i need to tear it appart for the VVTs
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

You could try changing the oil and filter first, but you may already have engine damage.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
im on it!!!
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question, this does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have.

Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am finding difficulty figuring out how to get this exaust out, any advice, do I have to yank the engine?
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

You need to remove the cradle or pull the engine, its not very fun.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what do you mean, not to fun.. I cant wait!!! hahahahaha
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Well good luck with it!

Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help.

Thanks Dan