peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

2009 Mazda 6 won't start. key light comes on (registers the

Customer Question

2009 Mazda 6 won't start. Green key light comes on (registers the key is present). Everything lights up and the battery is fine. Starter won't engage.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: battery is fine. radio plays, power seats work, no issues. Engine does not turn over
JA: What is the model of your '09 Mazda?
Customer: 6
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I manually inserted the key but engine won't turn over
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

In some cases this can be an issue with the starter solenoid or motor itself.I have also seen issues on some models with the starter/crank relay itself at fault needing replaced.I would have the starter circuit tested to see if this is the relay or starter at fault here.I dont suspect this is an ignition switch issue since all other components operate but it is very possible this is a fault with the brake switch.The brake pedal needs pressed to start the vehicle and if there is an internal fault in the brake switch not sending a correct signal the brakes are applied this occurs here.

All of these will need checked into first having the fault codes read out with a compatible scan tool to see what codes are set and from there those codes diagnosed and repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete