sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2005 3 power steering making clunking noise

Customer Question

Category: Mazda
Expert:  internal88 replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon - Mazda tech.

It sounds to me the steering rack and pinion is bad.

Can you make sure you have power steering fluid first.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
this was with the engine just idling, car not moving. started with the engine start and quieted down a bit after running fluid is ok.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
spinning the clutch I can feel a bit of drag

Make sure there is no power steering leak and the power steering pump is not making noise.

The clutch has nothing to do with it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no leaks, I think it is the pump ran engine with out serpentine belt
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
water pump??
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

The water pump or power steering pump wouldn't make a clunking noise from the steering. I'm not seeing an actual description of the noise posted here, can you explain the exact symptoms you're experiencing?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok the sound is hard to describe... metallic rattle, at engine start it was steady and quieted down (about 30 seconds) to an occasional click. when I turned the pump thru the clutch, it turned freely 3/4s around and dragged the rest.

What pump are you referring to?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
power steering... what is mounted at the 6 o'clock position, it has a dedicated drive belt

The power steering pump isn't driven by a separate belt nor does it have a clutch, what you're looking at is the a/c compressor. The compressor is driven by a separate belt and is the only accessory that has a clutch. If there is noise from the compressor it could be a pressure issue such as being overcharged or the cooling fan not working, or the problem may be with the compressor clutch or the compressor itself.

Does the noise only happen when the clutch is engaged?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, miss identified the pump; will need to check if noise comes and goes as the a/c is cycled. son's car didn't mention a/c problems.

If the noise happens all the time and is coming from the compressor for sure then the bearing in the pulley is bad. If it only makes noise when engaged then it could be a clutch issue, the compressor or an a/c performance issue causing high pressure as I mentioned.