rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

2002 Miata Sp Edition regularly used with NO prior problems.

Customer Question

2002 Miata Sp Edition regularly used with NO prior problems. I left dome light on while on a week trip. Battery died. I tried jumping it to no avail. I removed the battery and then the car sat without any battery for two months. I bought a new battery and attached the Black wire with the yellow stripe to the to the POSITIVE post and of course attached the remaining wire to the negative. The headlights came on. The car would not start and in fact NOTHING WORKED. I could not turn the headlights off. I could only turn the brights on and off. No dome light, no dash meters or lights, no AC, no radio, no turn signals, no trunk light. I unhooked the battery. What is wrong?????
Category: Mazda
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Okay, try this re-learn procedure and let me know what happens. If it doesn't fix it, then you will need a shop with a scan tool. See attachment.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Your answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found your answer. Is the black wire with the yellow stripe the POS. The wiring is original, no rewiring done
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Try the procedure I attached for you, if it doesn't work, you need to have a scan tool attached to the computer for more information. Not all these types of problems have a quick fix to them.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, the battery had been arc'ed and once the 100 Amp Main fuse was replaced the car started just fine. The symptom that the headlights stayed on but nothing electrical worked was a specific clue that the main fuse was burned. In the old days without scanners or computers there were always good clues. It took me awhile to remember. Thank you anyway.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, please rate me for my time.

Thanks again, Ron