peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

I have a 2009 Mazda 6 that is having some kind of electrical

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Mazda 6 that is having some kind of electrical issue. The vehicle has keyless entry with push to start. When the car is turned on all of the icons on the instrument panel light up after a few seconds. The welcome center shuts on and off randomly as well and the 12 v cigarette lighter port loses power. When the welcome center is off the car cannot be shut off. I have a suspicion the issue is tied to the keyless security system. In the attempt to fix the issue a new battery was purchased and installed. The alternator was checked as well and had no issues. I used a code reader and there were no codes. Have any ideas what this could be?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This sounds like an internal electrical fault in the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen this switch fail in the past before and had to replace it on several models for this fault here.If you have not had this switch tested this will need done.This is usually done with a multi meter as well as a fully compatible scan tool to read the data signals to see if the switch itself needs replaced.I suspect it does.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry for taking so long to respond. I appreciate your answer and I will definitely look into it. It could very well be the switch as you say. To be more clear the cigarette lighter, radio, and the key-less receiver box lose power intermittently (This is why my key fob is not recognized and the system triggers the immobilizer when the car is on). I had the alternator swapped out and placed a new battery and I'm still experiencing the same issues but not as much. I also cleaned all the grounds. Mind you, I also checked all the fuses and relays (the ones I could reach with a multi meter for continuity tests) and made sure that they were pushed in all the way. The car has been a lot better. Power loss occurs upon initial startup but then symptoms go away completely after a few seconds/minutes and it doesn't reoccur until the next day. Rain and moisture don't seem to trigger the issue. It really is a mystery. I'm going to try and test and swap out any relays that are tied electrically to those peripherals and see what happens, especially the ACC one (checked the electrical wiring diagram). I'm also thinking that it could be the wiring harness. Sorry lots of guess work. I'll be working on it this weekend. Something either is not completely plugged in or about to fail. I going to do some research on the switch you talked about in your answer.
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 3 months ago.

O.k.,let me know what you come up with here when your ready.

Thanks Pete