peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

2005 Mazda rx8 runs but the engine stalls when you are

Customer Question

2005 Mazda rx8 runs but the engine stalls when you are driving. And shift from first to neutral
Category: Mazda
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If it starts right back up and seems like it stalls or wants to stall when releasing the accelerator like this here what can cause this is carbon build up in the throttle body bore or bore plate.Below is a diagram of the throttle body itself.You may want to take a shop rag with some carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner sprayed on it and wipe out the throttle bore and bore plate with the engine off.This can block air flow into the engine when releasing the throttle and cause a stall out when shifting into neutral as the engine idles down when this is done.

If the check engine light has come on with this issue here the first thing that needs done is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed and repaired to correct this fault here.Carbon build up in the throttle body bore can be common.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete