Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2013 mazda.power steering light is on/ no power steering.

Customer Question

2013 mazda.power steering light is on/ no power steering. restarted, was ok. retarted again, no power steering. fluid level is ok. what's up?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

Ok, first I need to get the 17 digit vin number so that I can pull schematics as well as check for any related service bulletins

Any unusual noises from the engine compartment such as whining or groaning

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
JM1BL1UG1C1520171.i thought something sounded odd yesterday, but it's hard to tell with the noisy tires
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

Ok, first to briefly explain your power steering system. It is a bit of a hybrid system in that it incorporates both the traditional hydraulics with power steering fluid and lines, with the electronic power steering with a hydraulic power steering control module that is coupled to a fluid pump.

Because turning the engine on and off and back on restored the power steering for a bit, this points to a problem in the electronic portion. If it were hydraulic(fluid) issue, turning the engine off and back on would not affect it. The warning light being on further points to this as it only sets when a fault in the electronics is detected by the onboard computer.

This may be an intermittent short in the wiring harness at the control module due to chafing that has allowed fluid intrusion, or may be an internal fault in the electro hydraulic control module located at the pump(see attached)

You can check the wiring for any cuts, chafing or breaks and repair as needed. IF ok, then most likely the control module, which would need to be replaced and new one programmed with factory level scan tool and software. The control module is part of the pump assembly and replaced as a unit, which lists for $776

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?