sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My low beams only work with the gh beams. : Low beams only

Customer Question

My low beams only work with the high beams.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mazda. The Mazda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Low beams only come on when the high beams are pn.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: We replaced the low beam bulb because it did not come on with the high beams. Now it comes on with the high beams only. We tested the voltage at the bulb connector and there is only power on
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mazda Mechanic should know about your Mazda?
Customer: When high beams are turned on. When low beams are turned on only there is no voltage.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, sounds like you have a bad earth to the front lighting. This is quite common and causes some lights not to work and some for power to back feed through other lights, it is most common on the rear clusters and results in the lights operating in a unusual fashion, for example flashing through brake lights when indicating.

With the lights on and bulbs removed, one pin should be positive, as you have found, the other should be negative.

Depending on what equipment you have, we could look up the details for your car (not yet provided) and see if we can find the wiring diagrams.

Alternatively, as it seems you have the positive, hence the fuses appear okay, I would consider running another negative wire to the negative side of the lights.

This could be taken back to the battery, or fixed to a nearby clean piece of metal that is 'earthed' to the negative side of the battery.

Let me know if you want any further help.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Waiting on phone call.

Sorry, I am in the uk.

Would you like me to opt out?

Apologises, I can not call the United States from the UK.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is NO voltage to the low beam socket when the high beams are off.What is the problem?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello, are you there?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?