Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

Story short my car stalled in standing water : car was not

Customer Question

long story short my car stalled in standing water
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mazda. The Mazda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: car was not that deep but water did get in my exhaust and air intake a little. engine is not blow. good signs.
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 70k mile.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yea. i replaced my spark plugs and ignition coils
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: i think i may need to replace the alternator bc i didnt have any guards on my car bc i was about to put a body kit on it
JA: Is there anything else the Mazda Mechanic should be aware of about your Mazda?
Customer: no other then that. it seems like it just wont turn over
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

A bad alternator will not keep your car from turning over or starting.

So everything else works and it just wont turn over? Your radio and windows and other accessories all work with the key on but when you turn it to the start position nothing happens?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
correct. I only thought it was the alternator because i seen it smoking

That definitely is A problem but that isnt keeping it from turning over. Do you have a multimeter? More importantly do you have full coverage insurance? This may get expensive.

How long has it been since this happened? You need to let it dry out a couple of days before anything. The main fuse is probably blown but replacing it before everything is dry could cause more issues. If your alternator was smoking you may have fried the PCM.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i let it dry out. yes i have a meter. no full coverage

Set your meter to ohms and test from one side of the main fuse to the other. Let me know what you get.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it will be a while bc im at work

Take your time.