rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

It is sputtering, then has stalled on 3 occasions, I have

Customer Question

it is sputtering, then has stalled on 3 occasions, I have had the plugs, wires, EGR Valve, MAS sensor, fuel pump all this was replaced. I have cleaned the throttle body sensor and after a month it is still sputtering
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you happen to have the wiring diagram?
Customer: 123,000 / no put I can get it
JA: What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: 2002 Mazda Protege 5
JA: Got it. What model and year?
Customer: 2002 Mazda Protege 5
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no it is at a shop, where i work, but they can not figure out what it is and basically have giving up trying to fix it
JA: OK! The Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your Mazda?
Customer: the diagnostic code has kept changing, first the EGR, then the fuel pump, Ignition coil, fuel pump
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

It would good to check the fuel trims at idle and load to see where the differences are at on fuel demand. I would also like you know what the MODE 6 results are to see what is close to failing. This works great for problems like this. They should also check engine compression too.

Thanks, Ron