Technicaldan, Technician
Experience:  Accredited

I have a 2002 Mazda Protege. It won't pass smog because of

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Mazda Protege. It won't pass smog because of something to do with the variable tumble control system. The guy at the smog center didn't know what the variable tumble control system was so I'm not sure how to go forward in getting my car to pass smog.
JA: Sometimes the difference between passing and failing a smog test can be just a few quick repairs. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with will have just the information you need to get this fixed fast. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 175,000 miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Perhaps
JA: Is there anything else the Mazda Mechanic should be aware of about your Mazda?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, most failures of the VTC system on these cars are either a faulty vacuum pipe or VTC solenoid.

This question has already been covered in depth on here before, I include a link to the other experts write up, this is their effort and not mine.

I would maybe show this to your mechanic, this should guide him enough to effect a repair.

I hope this helps you get it sorted.