Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech

I've got a 2011 Mazda CX-9 Touring, and the front fan isn't

Customer Question

I've got a 2011 Mazda CX-9 Touring, and the front fan isn't blowing except for a minute or 2 after I start the car.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Right now I'm looking at
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I just tried to take the air filter out to see if it would help any, but the blower wasn't working at all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

When you say the front fan are you referring to the blower motor for the AC/heater system or are you referring to the cooling fan. Post back with this information and I will see if I can help you with this concern.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I believe it's the blower motor. The blower I'm referring to is the one that is located behind the glovebox and directly under the cabin air filter. When I turn the A/C on (whether high or low), the fan blows cold air from the rear unit (in the console between the front seats. However, the front fan does not blow at all. If I stick my hand behind the glovebox and give it a push, it might run for a few minutes, but not with any considerable speed.I thought that I had solved the problem by swapping the fan relays for the front and rear. After doing so, the front fan ran strong again for a couple days, but stopped again on Friday.I imagine that the next step is to replace the front blower? I've also seen mention of the blower motor resistor and wonder if that might be the problem.If I need to replace either, can you give me directions on how to do so?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

If you are able to get the fan to run by pushing in it You may have a bad blower motor. Start with checking power and ground at it when it will not run. If you have power and ground at it and its will not run then its a bad motor.