sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Where is the Crankshaft Position Center located on a 2008

Customer Question

Where is the Crankshaft Position Center located on a 2008 Mazda CX7 2.3 Turbo?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mazda. The Mazda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: We have a P0016 code.
JA: Do you happen to have a code reader or scan tool? What size is your engine?
Customer: Yes. It is a code P0016. 2.3L Turbo
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed the camshaft position sensor
JA: Is there anything else the Mazda Mechanic should be aware of about your Mazda?
Customer: No. It's running perfect. Really quiet. No issues with stalling.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Randall C replied 11 months ago.

Hello it is located along side of the harmonic balancer, You must follow directions I have included, You will not have special tool I assume so,, you can insert a larger diameter phillips screwdriver in place of the blind plug tool. here is the link to the repair

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. Thanks for the quick response. The way this began was I took my Mazda to a mechanic to replace the timing chain, positioner chain pulley, etc. (Dealer parts). After I got it back from the mechanic, it threw a P0016. I returned it to the mechanic who rechecked the timing and said the timing was good. I replaced the camshaft senor and sparkplugs. It starts and runs fine. There is a little bit of a rattle with a cold start but not with a warm start. So would you next change the crankshaft position, look at the tone rings by the harmonic balancer, or do something else?

possible they did not get the crank sensor lined up, tone ring? highly doubt, if a problem? it would run bad, I think the sensor is off a little, You have the repair info to check the line up, Yes crank sensor is possible but if only after repair? a weak tensioner or crank sensor lineup

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I went counterclockwise 20 teeth and centered the center of the existing crank sensor right on the tooth. Tightened bolts down and drove. Light came back on after about 2.5 miles. Same code P0016 Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor A .
When I first took my Mazda to have the timing chain done, I did not have a code at all. These are the parts they put on at that time: gasket cover seal, timing chain, ACTR,VARI, washer, seal oil, bolt, lock washer, RTV silicone, Adjuster,c; guide, chai; lever, chaiDoes the new camshaft positioner and the crankshaft positioner have to be timed?Any other ideas?

I do not, All the tests for the code are noted in this file I have attached. If light was not on, should Mazda look into this? I am unsure why You are not having them recheck timing etc. Its your call of course, just asking, Here is the file for the code

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did take it back to the mechanic. He rechecked the timing and said it was correct but I still have the code.

I am going to opt out, I just can not diagnose not being there, I will open the post to the other experts

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your help. Have a good day!
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am still getting a P0016 but it is running great.

What was the original for replacing the timing chain originally?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I took the Mazda in because when I started it up I could hear it rattling. When they tore it apart, only the tensioner was making all the noise but they went ahead and did gasket cover seal, timing chain, ACTR,VARI, washer, seal oil, bolt, lock washer, RTV silicone, Adjuster,c; guide, chai; lever, chai

Was the variable valve timing actuator replaced?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They said they did replace it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is a rattle for about 2 seconds on a morning start. If you shut it off and turn it back on, it doesn't rattle. It runs great.

Do you know what cam/crank difference degrees shows at idle?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just got it back from the certified mechanic who said he rechecked the timing and it was correct. Before I drove 20 miles, the light was back on.
No I don't what the degrees show at idle. I am taking it to a dealership today. Any suggestions about what I need to tell them?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
One more random piece of information in case it has any connection. When I purchased this vehicle, it was extremely low on oil - nothing on the dipstick. However, the oil light was not on. It had a major leak. I changed the filter on top of the housing gasket. This vehicle runs extremely smooth and quiet. The mechanic wondered if there could be bad oil pressure that was causing this problem. Maybe something with the oil sending unit?
I would tell them about the work that was done and that it started setting the code directly afterward. There has to be an issue with the variable valve timing actuator, the chain or crank gear, or components not installed correctly.