Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

My 2001 millennia has an intermittent starting

Customer Question

my 2001 millennia has an intermittent starting put the key in...turn it and the dashboard lights up but nothing happens. Mazda dealer has run complete diagnostics of electrical systems...nothing wrong.
If you pull the key out, putit back in etc, eventually it will start...but it took six tries the other night in the walmart parking lot...don't want to get stuck somewhere...pretty frustrating
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** problem do you even hear starter make a click sound? Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dan...simple I explained, there is nothing typically electrically wrong (starter motor, battery, terminals, fuses etc) - the Mazda dealer checked everything...they are completely puzzled - they ran full diagnostics on their system...and when the car decides to start, it starts normally. So, sometimes you put the key in, turn it, the dashboard lights up, and NOTHING happens, no clicks, nothing. I will say because of the noise of turning the key, I sometimes think I can hear a faint single "click" noise - like a switch noise... as you turn key to start something tripping... If you pull out the key and put it back in, and keep repeating this....the car eventually starts normally. But it took 6 tries the other night. Here's what I find on the internet - lots of very similar stories, various vehicle makes, but all tied to security systems and key fobs...and my key fob definitely is screwed will not automatically lock, unlock car anymore, but it will unlock the trunk....sometimes the car alarm goes off...for no reason...but not recently, since I now manually lock and unlock only using my key. I hope this helps clarify the is simply way too hard for me to believe that given there are likely hundreds of thousands of Millenia manufactured through 2001 that no one has ever heard of this or reported it. Thanks for considering this info. PS - I found one strange comment about the resistor inside the fob wearing out (there is a little circuit board in there if you take it apart, as you likely know already)
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

The security system doesn't have anything to do with the starting system on this vehicle. So far it sounds like problem is either starter cut relay, starter relay, or ignition switch. Next time problem happens check to see if black/orange wire going to starter relay has power with key in start position, if not replace ignition switch. Here is a wiring diagram to help with testing, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Dan...its good to know that on my model, the security system is not involved. I spoke to the dealer service desk again and shared your thoughts. Bot***** *****ne is that unless they can cause the failure to occur while the car is in the shop, it's pretty hard to diagnose anything. They are thinking along the same lines as you. First time I took the car into the shop for this problem, they couldn't get the car to started every time they tried it...and I left it there a couple of days. Since the problem is worsening, maybe I'll drop it off again to them. Thanks again for the advice...always useful to get a second opinion. I fully appreciate how difficult it is to solve a problem that is intermittent.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

No problem, I'm happy to help. I agree with dealer that problem is close to impossible to diagnose if it isn't happening while testing. Easiest way to test is by getting familiar with test light or multimeter and doing it yourself. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions, thanks.