FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Technician Trainer
1627031

On a 2008 mx-5 when my dsc is on ,occasionally the car will

Customer Question

On a 2008 mx-5 when my dsc is on ,occasionally the car will speed up when brakes are applied!! This does not happen when the dsc switch is turned off.?? Is there a solutions??
Category: Mazda
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** are a few things that can cause this on the MX-5, but most of the time it is caused by a bad brake pedal sensor. When this sensor fails the computer cannot detect the brakes being applied so instead of it turning off the cruise the vehicle tries to speed up to counteract the speed change. This can be tested or simply replaced. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi I got your answer about the bad brake sensor. I am going to have it checked at a Mazda dealer but is it harmful to continue to drive with the dsc turned off? Any other info on this matter? Thanks hope to hear from you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi I got your answer about the bad break sensor.I am going to have checked at a Mazda dealer but is it harmful to continue to drive with the dsc turned off? Any other info on this matter. Hope to hear from you Paul ps this my second attempt to send to you it is difficult to find out if does go to you..
Thanks for getting back with me Paul. It is safe to drive like this, the only other affect it may have would be that the brake lights may work intermittently if it is indeed going bad.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I had mazda check the brake sensor and the put it on a computer They found nothing but did say the brake pads were the cheapest there is(???) The previous owner had them put on less than 3000 miles ago. Mazda cound not find the problem but seem to think I should put good brake pads on it. Could this be the problem??
The brake pads will not affect the speed control system. This can be hard to diagnose if the problem is not occurring while it is being tested.